Department of Surgery
Surgery is an ancient medical specialty that uses operative manual and instrumental techniques on a patient to investigate or treat a pathological condition such as disease or injury, to help improve bodily function or appearance or to repair unwanted ruptured areas (for example, a perforated ear drum).
An act of performing surgery may be called a "surgical procedure", "operation", or simply "surgery". In this context, the verb "operate" means to perform surgery. The adjective "surgical" means pertaining to surgery; e.g. surgical instruments or surgical nurse. The patient or subject on which the surgery is performed can be a person or an animal. A surgeon is a person who practices surgery and a surgeon's assistant is a person who practices surgical assistance. A surgical team is made up of surgeon, surgeon's assistant, anesthesia provider, circulating nurse and surgical technologist. Surgery usually spans minutes to hours, but it is typically not an ongoing or periodic type of treatment. The term "surgery" can also refer to the place where surgery is performed, or simply the office of a physician, dentist, or veterinarian.
Department of Surgery at KWMC is committed to proving the highest level of surgical care, training the next generation of surgeons and integrating knowledge and skills into research that keeps us at the forefront.
The Surgery department boasts of a very strong faculty of eminent teachers. Our experienced specialty surgeons perform highly advanced surgical procedures. In addition to general surgery there are experienced teachers of different disciplines of surgery including ophthalmology, otolaryngology, orthopedic surgery etc
• Surgical department with …….working surgical units
• Well equipped room for faculty and Post-Graduate Residents in the department.
• Well equipped and well planned Surgical OPD’s and wards.
• Well equipped operation theatres with all ultramodern instruments including laparoscopy and endoscopy instruments.
Museum: The department has independent Surgical Museum.
Department Library: Total……books are available in our library
Audio- visual teaching Aids:
• Department has LCD projector for power point presentations of didactic Lectures/Seminars/Symposium/Journal clubs
• Department has OHP projector
• Computer with Internet connection for Faculty
• Computer with Photo scanner and Printers.
• Lectures/Clinical cases
• Clinical presentations/CME
• Participation in seminar/conference/workshop both in home and abroad.
Roles & Target:
• Advocate for excellence in all aspects of the care of surgical patients – this applies to both the quality of care provided and to the efficient use of available resources.
• Hold clinical meetings and provide opportunities for continuing professional development.
• Promote clinical risk minimization along with quality and safety improvement.
• Co-ordinate undergraduate surgical teaching.
• Co-ordinate postgraduate surgical training.
• Plan, recruit and manage the surgical workforce.
• Co-ordinate the provision of acute surgical care and post operative management.